Sabado, Agosto 04, 2012

El Niño


  • I learned that El Niño is a weather phenomenon that is characterized by unusual warm ocean temperatures in the equatorial Pacific ocean. It accompanies high air pressure in the Western Pacific. It is known in the Philippines as the hot season ranging from March to May.
  • I want to know more about the history of the word El Niño. And I found out that El Niño is a Spanish word for Little Boy and refers to the Christ child, because periodic warming in the Pacific near South America is usually noticed around Christmas. 
  • I appreciate the fact that this phenomenon greatly affects our country. The severe heating of the climate causes droughts to our lands resulting to the destruction of our crops. Besides, the hot climate also affects us for it can cause diseases related to skin problems and sometimes heat stokes.
  • I can apply my learnings about El Niño  in my everyday life. For example, an elementary student asks me about El Niño. I could easily give him/her a brief description and history about this phenomenon.